Not many topics keep Android users on their toes as much as big, feature-rich updates. And with the Android 8.0 Oreo update on the horizon, we are once more bombarded with questions. Will the Galaxy S8 get that update? When can I update my Galaxy S7? How about my Galaxy S6? Here we share what we know. Be smart and bookmark, since we’ll be updating this article whenever new information surfaces.
We’ll get right to the question of which device will be updated, but for now, we can not make any predictions regarding a timeline. So, for example, we can say that the Galaxy S8 will, of course, get the Android 8.0 update, but we do not yet know when. If you’re looking for all the latest news about Samsung’s Galaxy and Android Oreo, scroll down past these lists to find all headlines with related news.
These Galaxys will get Android 8.0 Oreo
These Galaxys may or may not get Android 8.0
- Galaxy A9 Pro – Android 8.0 Oreo would be the 2nd OS upgrade, but unsure for now
- Galaxy A8 (2016) – Android 8.0 would be the 2nd OS upgrade, but unsure for now
- Galaxy J7 (2016) – update track record unclear, already has one major upgrade
- Galaxy J5 (2016) – update track record unclear, already has one major upgrade
- Galaxy J3 (2017) – not all previous J3 models received a major OS upgrade
- Galaxy Tab S2 VE (2016 models) – update track record unclear
- Galaxy Tab A (2016 models) – update track record unclear
- Galaxy J7 Prime (OnNxt) – hasn’t yet received Nougat
These Galaxys will not get Android 8.0
- Galaxy S6 series – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy S5 series – no more major OS upgrades
- Galaxy Note 5 – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A7 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A5 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A3 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy J3 (2016) – has not received an OS upgrade, unlikely to do so later
- Galaxy J2 (2016) – has not received an OS upgrade, unlikely to do so later
- Galaxy J1 variants – these devices usually do not receive OS upgrades
So, you ask, how do we get to these lists? Tracking Samsung’s Android updates over a long period of time, it is clear many series and devices always get two major OS upgrades, before continuing with security updates only. However, as indicated above, this rule is not firmly established for most of the Galaxy J series, nor for several other devices.
Over time, we’ll be updating the information above when we receive new information, or when it surfaces elsewhere. We have not included devices that have already stopped receiving major OS upgrades, like the Galaxy S5 or Galaxy Note 4, even if they still receive new security patches regularly. Other devices missing from this list will be added if and when we have tangible information to report.
One last thing we have to point out, is that we are, of course, not Samsung. This list is by no means based on official information and only enumerates our predictions, not Samsung’s official update policy. Should our information be proven wrong, we will update this article, but we are not responsible for your device’s updates. If you think we missed a device from the last two years, let us know in the comments and we will try to add information about that device to our list.
Samsung Galaxy + Android 8.0 Oreo update headlines
All copyrights for this article are reserved to BBC Fashion
Related to this
- When news broke last November that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were engaged, I followed the story to a moderate degree, reading an article or two about how Markle would be the first woman of color to marry into the monarchy, and watching clips from
- Come work with us! Image courtesy of IWFF In 1977, a grizzled Montana bear biologist had an idea. Films about wildlife were a genre that deserved their own celebration — a festival held in Missoula. Within a decade, wildlife film festivals had sprung
- WATCH THE TRAILER SEE THE FILM A story hidden below the waves. A campaign to inspire action in unexpected places. STREAM NOW ON: FIND A SCREENING BELOW OR HOST ONE IN YOUR COMMUNITY “It’s not too late for coral
- CarlyRowena / 17th April 2018 17th April 2018 I don’t think i’ve ever been as excited for something to launch as this. A couple of months back the incredible UK team from Womens Health magazine reached out to me and asked I would like to
- The stranger rang the doorbell. Five minutes later, she was sobbing in our living room. It was a little before 7 p.m. when we heard the bell. With a glance at my wife to confirm that we weren’t expecting anyone, I went to open the
- 30 terabyte ssdSamsung has unveiled the world’s largest solid state drive — an unassuming-looking bit of kit that boasts a whopping 30.72 terabytes of storage. It’s the most storage ever crammed into the 2.5-inch form factor and is designed for enterprise customers looking to move
- A few days ago, an article posted at The Verge caused quite a few people to question whether or not ordering (or cancelling existing orders of) the Samsung Chromebook Pro was a good idea. This is not my review. That will be coming in a
- Someone looks partied out (Picture: Getty Images/Splash News)Coachella really looks like the place to have all the fun and it seems as if Victoria Secret’s Angel Taylor Hill most definitely received that memo. The model was among the many stars who flocked to the Coachella’s Neon