Not many topics keep Android users on their toes as much as big, feature-rich updates. And with the Android 8.0 Oreo update on the horizon, we are once more bombarded with questions. Will the Galaxy S8 get that update? When can I update my Galaxy S7? How about my Galaxy S6? Here we share what we know. Be smart and bookmark, since we’ll be updating this article whenever new information surfaces.
We’ll get right to the question of which device will be updated, but for now, we can not make any predictions regarding a timeline. So, for example, we can say that the Galaxy S8 will, of course, get the Android 8.0 update, but we do not yet know when. If you’re looking for all the latest news about Samsung’s Galaxy and Android Oreo, scroll down past these lists to find all headlines with related news.
These Galaxys will get Android 8.0 Oreo
These Galaxys may or may not get Android 8.0
- Galaxy A9 Pro – Android 8.0 Oreo would be the 2nd OS upgrade, but unsure for now
- Galaxy A8 (2016) – Android 8.0 would be the 2nd OS upgrade, but unsure for now
- Galaxy J7 (2016) – update track record unclear, already has one major upgrade
- Galaxy J5 (2016) – update track record unclear, already has one major upgrade
- Galaxy J3 (2017) – not all previous J3 models received a major OS upgrade
- Galaxy Tab S2 VE (2016 models) – update track record unclear
- Galaxy Tab A (2016 models) – update track record unclear
- Galaxy J7 Prime (OnNxt) – hasn’t yet received Nougat
These Galaxys will not get Android 8.0
- Galaxy S6 series – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy S5 series – no more major OS upgrades
- Galaxy Note 5 – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A7 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A5 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy A3 (2016) – received two major Android upgrades before
- Galaxy J3 (2016) – has not received an OS upgrade, unlikely to do so later
- Galaxy J2 (2016) – has not received an OS upgrade, unlikely to do so later
- Galaxy J1 variants – these devices usually do not receive OS upgrades
So, you ask, how do we get to these lists? Tracking Samsung’s Android updates over a long period of time, it is clear many series and devices always get two major OS upgrades, before continuing with security updates only. However, as indicated above, this rule is not firmly established for most of the Galaxy J series, nor for several other devices.
Over time, we’ll be updating the information above when we receive new information, or when it surfaces elsewhere. We have not included devices that have already stopped receiving major OS upgrades, like the Galaxy S5 or Galaxy Note 4, even if they still receive new security patches regularly. Other devices missing from this list will be added if and when we have tangible information to report.
One last thing we have to point out, is that we are, of course, not Samsung. This list is by no means based on official information and only enumerates our predictions, not Samsung’s official update policy. Should our information be proven wrong, we will update this article, but we are not responsible for your device’s updates. If you think we missed a device from the last two years, let us know in the comments and we will try to add information about that device to our list.
Samsung Galaxy + Android 8.0 Oreo update headlines
All copyrights for this article are reserved to The Verge
Related to this
- Can you believe that it’s almost Christmas? There is no doubt that years seem to go faster as you get older. It won’t be long until you’re putting up the Christmas tree with your children and cleaning up the mess made by your devilish elf-on-the-shelf. I really should
- Return to blog listing Why not join us? We are having an Open Weekend on Saturday 21st January from 10am to 5pm and Sunday 22nd January from 11am to 3pm We will be celebrating our 15th Anniversary in style, with lots of food and drink
- The singer, 33, posed for the shoot when she was eight months’ pregnant and is just days away from giving birth with her and One Direction star Liam Payne’s first child. 4 Tum in the oven . . . Cheryl cradles her baby pump It
- You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience. Featured ContentSmall PlatesWhen Should Kids Start Packing Their Own Lunch?Janet Rausa FullerView “When Should Kids Start Packing Their Own Lunch?”Kitchen IntelligenceHow to Make Cilantro-Lime Rice Just Like Chipotle DoesBecky HughesView “How
- 11 Gifts for the HGTV Lover in Your Life We're Calling It Now — These 17 Foods Are Going to Blow Up in 2018 Follow Us Facebook Pinterest166k Instagram The latest Living Can Tattoos Still Keep You From Getting a Job? According to This New
- Lubaina Himid, 2017Courtesy of the artist and Hollybush GardensPhoto: Edmund Blok for Modern Art Oxford Lubaina HimidNaming the Money 2004Installation view of Navigation Charts, Spike Island, Bristol 2017Courtesy of the artist, Hollybush Gardens, and National Museums, LiverpoolPhoto: Stuart Whipps Lubaina Himid was born in 1954
- Ecommerce Solutions Platform: Create Store & Sell Online India| KartRocket <!-- added on 5.17.2016 by saahil for <!-- --> India’s #1 eCommerce solution. Trusted by over 10,000 brands and entrepreneurs
- Emma Mumford -<!-- --> MAYBELLINE NEW YORK x GIGI HADID RANGE TREATBOX UK REVIEW – MAY THE THINGS I’VE LEARNT THROUGH 2017 EXPLORING DUBLIN IRELAND Lifestyle With 2017 nearly over, I thought it was about time